Wednesday 4 April 2012

Day 4: Why I write.


Someone recently said to me "Why write about diabetes? I might as well write about my size 11 shoe."

It helps me to manage my own diabetes because knowing that I need to keep posting on a semi-regular basis means I'm reminded that I need to maintain my focus.  I can't ignore my diabetes, not only because I'll be an absolute mess and really ill, but because I'll have nothing to write about!

Writing this blog helps me connect with other diabetics.  It's a pretty rare occasion that I will meet another type 1 in my every day life, whereas through the Diabetic Online Community I make new acquaintances and friends every week.

I'd also like to think that by writing about diabetes I am able to provide inspiration and support to other diabetics, just as other Health Activist Writers do for me.  I love how I can write about something sad, annoying or funny about my diabetes and I'll receive comments from people saying that they've had the same experience or they know just how I feel.  Writing about my diabetes makes me realise that I'm not alone in this.

Most of all though, I write about it because I have diabetes.  I have to live with it 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, so I'll write about it if I want to!  So, to the person who made the comment I mentioned at the beginning of this post: take your size 11 shoe and shove it where the sun doesn't shine!

1 comment: