Saturday 14 May 2011

My Diabetic Life in Images

What a nice change!  Although I have loved writing about all sorts of diabetes-related things this D-Blog week, I think it's nice to use some imagery too so I'm particularly pleased by the choice of today's post :)  It was meant to be 'Saturday Snapshots', but I have also drawn a couple of pictures to stimulate my own creativity.  I'm all worded-out, here it is my diabetic life in images...


My drawing of my mum, me and my dad on the day I was diagnosed.
Dr. Johnson was my first diabetic doctor and he used to squeeze my fingers so hard to get the blood out of them that I would nearly cry.

Me on my fourth birthday, about a month after I was diagnosed as being Type 1 Diabetic


How it felt when I was diagnosed.  The Diabetes Police.

My Uncle David and I around the time I was diagnosed.
My Uncle David is also a Type 1 Diabetic.

A family holiday in Ireland.  This photo is of my mum (the lady with the camera), my cousin Chloe (the girl in the red shorts) and my Uncle Mark.
My Uncle Mark is also a Type 1 Diabetic.
I am at the corner of the photograph, stabilising my blood sugar levels with some carby crisps.


This is only part of my diabetic trail.  An old needle, needle wrapper and old insulin cartridge.
These were in the drinks holder of my boyfriend's car.  I am ashamed!

I always feel that when I say 'I'm diabetic', they assume that I'm either obese or old.
No, I'm Type 1 and even Type 2's aren't always overweight or OAP'S.

This is me now, aged 18, at my friend's house, testing my blood sugar levels at 2 am.

I am a type 1 diabetic :)

6 comments:

  1. Great cartoon pics! I hope you'll do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your drawings, very creative! And your pictures are great, I especially like the last one! Keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, I like the Carby Crisps one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics and drawings Daisy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cartoons! Great job! That is so awesome you have your uncle to turn to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post.I like the way you start and then conclude your thoughts. Thanks for this information .I really appreciate your work, keep it up

    ReplyDelete